[open-science] Privacy and open research data

Song, Stephen stephen.song at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 20:04:46 UTC 2013

Thanks Mario,

On 8 February 2013 00:04, Jesús M. Siqueiros <jmsiqueiros.bioetica at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Dear Steve;
>
> Misha Agrist has a paper in Nature on the subject of genetic privacy.
> Probably you already know Misha Agrist, I believe you might find his work
> useful and interesting.
>

> http://www.nature.com/news/genetic-privacy-needs-a-more-nuanced-approach-1.12363

I thought I would share a couple of other resources that may be of interest.

Privacy Tools for Sharing Research Data
http://privacytools.seas.harvard.edu/

Practices and Tools for Microdata Anonymisation from the International
Household Survey Network
http://www.ihsn.org/home/node/118

After reading the likes of Paul Ohm, Latanya Sweeney, Helen Nissenbaum,
Arvind Narayanan and others, I now find myself struck by just how absent
the issue of privacy appears to be in the Open Data world.  It's a bit like
a movement promoting exercise without providing any guidance on how to
exercise safely.

It does make me wonder whether the Open Data/Science community is not
putting itself in a vulnerable position by not addressing privacy in the
context of Open Data advocacy more proactively.

-Steve