[open-science] Translations of open science roadmap documents in Poland

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 09:58:47 UTC 2013

Pawel

thank you. I understand there may be reasons for working in a local language

I think one of the central ideas in open science, is that in the current
climate and networked envronments, it is difficult , maybe impossible, to
do 'good science' in isolation

chosing a specific language means isolating the knowledge from anyone who
does not speak it

depends on what the community want to achieve.how long term they are
thinking. if they intend to continue to work
as the 'polish island' of open science, then translation is not needed

if they want to make sure their work is aligned, or at least related to the
rest of the world
work in this field of open science, then id say they have to chance their
rules, fast

it's difficult not to come across as arrogant anglocentrism with such a
request but...
It is estimated that if the EU had invested more money in training citizens
to speak english in the last 20 years (approx 5 years training per person
to achieve proficiency)
it would have saved masses of public money in translations (nightmare,
nightmare)

english please :-) or  probably remain an island

just my thought

PDM