[open-science] Data Watch

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Fri Jun 7 10:05:52 UTC 2013

Hi All

I'm sure you're familiar with the excellent blog Retraction Watch run by
Ivan Oransky and Adam Marcus http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com/

In an blog post in 2012 [1], Jonathan Eisen suggested having a Data Watch
site in the same vein. We discussed something similar in the Open Science
Working Group at various times previously.

We had considered using it to discuss both invalidated datasets (more like
retraction watch) and data sharing cases where data is simply not available
to back up published research, particularly where researchers refuse to
share data despite agreements with funders or publishers to do so on
request. The most well known examples recently being Reinhart-Rogoff [2]
and (many) clinical trials [3].

It would be interesting in the case of datasets found to be invalid to
classify where the problem arose - mislabelling of columns, coding errors,
data gaps?

If you're interested in working on something like this (and the exact
formulation of this is still very much up for discussion - all thoughts
welcome!), then speak now and we can set up a group of founding editors :)

Jenny

[1]
http://phylogenomics.blogspot.com/2012/01/draft-post-cleanup-3-open-knowledge.html
[2]