[open-science] Outlining the argument for open commercialization

Greg Austic gbathree at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 18:45:11 UTC 2013

I'm a researcher at Michigan State University and am putting together a
presentation to promote the concept of open commercialization (bringing
technology to market without IP) to admin higher-ups  and I'd like your
help.

*I am looking for more examples to strengthen and simplify the arguments
for open commercialization (no intellectual property) versus traditional
commercialization*.  Ultimately, I would like to see this outline as
something that anyone can use to make a similar pitch at other universities.

If you'd like to help, please read through the
outline<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v4bs4SfWk39UmMtxYYeW4DZwEE7lsFHGqoPMIy--C68/edit?usp=sharing>in
google docsand add arguments, examples, and links wherever you see
fit.  I've already
noted many places in the outline where I think specific examples would be
valuable.

*Please please share this with other people or lists that you think may be
helpful!*

I think that the time is ripe for making this argument, and Universities
may be ready to consider moving back towards a truly open model of
information.  Thanks so much for your help!

--

Greg Austic

PS - If you're interested in our specific project it's www.photosynq.org.