[open-science] Data Watch

Daniel Mietchen daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 8 01:26:26 UTC 2013

Spinning the idea of an anonymous data sharing on request service a
little further: what is missing to get this automated?

I guess a very practical issue would be that journal articles (with
the exception of some types of data papers) are not marked up for the
type of data they are reporting on, and an automated generic request
to authors "please send me the data underlying your paper X" may well
be less efficient in gathering responses than something of the sort
"please send me the T2-weighted images of the control group in
experiment 2, along with the respective blood screenings".

But then again, exposing the (probably large) amount of non-responses
may be a nice basis for triggering discussions (which would have to be
field-specific, at least initially) on how to move towards more
effective ways of sharing data.

In cases where the authors actually do respond by sending some data,
the next challenge is then to determine what to do with it, since it
(a) is most likely not licensed for sharing further
(b) may have legit restrictions on sharing (e.g. patient privacy,
endangered species)
(c) may be in a proprietary or non-standard format
(d) may be incomplete
(e) may or may not be of a type for which suitable repositories exist
etc.

These latter considerations would apply whether the requests are
automated or not, and it could serve as the basis for a DataWatch
inititative that looks for problems in those data that are shared or
for which some available statements (e.g. in the respective papers)
are unclear or contradictory.

So while the data requesting and data watching ideas are heavily
intertwined, I think they require different skill and knowledge sets
and will probably appeal to different groups of people (some overlap
not withstanding). The data watching part will require field-specific
(or at least data type-specific) knowledge, for which OKF on its own
is not necessarily the best framework, but the data requesting part
sounds like something others are very unlikely to tackle.

Daniel

--
http://okfn.org
http://wikimedia.org