[open-science] Outlining the argument for open commercialization

Paweł Szczęsny ps at pawelszczesny.org
Wed Jun 19 16:09:29 UTC 2013

Hi Greg,

I'm commenting here, as I'm not really sure where does it fit in your outline.

First, there are a few arguments for opening certain resources as a
part of bussiness strategy, as it:
- allows for redefining bussiness model (or develop additional
bussiness models - think Apache or RedHat; there was an open
consulting company back then in 2009, I cannot find the name right
now)
- makes it harder to block the company (protection against patent
trolls and others, see for example Intellectual Property Program from
SAE Consortium http://www.saeconsortium.org/index.php?q=node/12 )
- lets the company to actually set the industry standard in just
forming areas of commercialization (Raspberry Pi? I think it has a
better business strategy than Arduino)

Second, there is a legal layer to the process of opening a resource. I
think it is worth looking into strong copyleft (so called viral)
licenses. Businesses like them, as it adds another mechanism of
protection of their actual positition.

Actually, I gave a talk similar to the outline above. If you are
interested (or anybody else of course), I can mail the slides directly
to you (or anybody else). Unfortunately, this were one of these
meetings, where the materials cannot be shared on the public forum (I
know, in principle nobody cares, but I prefer to stick to the spirit
of the agreement).

Best wishes
PS