[open-science] [UK legislation] Draft regulations allowing non-commercial 'data analysis' published for comment

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 23 07:08:06 UTC 2013

Thanks Ross,
This is very timely and useful from the IPO.
I think we should address the points in some detail and try to anticipate
possible problems.

I think possible areas not covered include:

* technological access to large amounts of material (i.e. the right to
crawl)
* the need to quote substantial parts of the work for scholarly purposes
(i.e faithful to the original text).
* the need to make annotated corpora available for reference (certainly at
the section level - e.g. the whole of "materials and methods").
* the right to extract information from diagrams and tables and other
e-media such as recordings.

I would not like to outline what we MAY do as this implies that anything
else is forbidden.

My internet is flaky for several days but will try to read/respond.

This is a VERY important area and I think the OKF should have a clear
compelling statement.