[open-science] [Open-access] Attribution, Rights and Licensing of names and compilations of names

Heather Morrison hgmorris at sfu.ca
Wed Mar 6 19:52:20 UTC 2013

Great idea and important direction ~

Some thoughts on approach: it might be most helpful to provide explanation and illustration of what can be achieved through an open approach along with information and education about how to achieve this. Note that while open licensing is necessary, to be useful requires development using open standards and formats as well.

If people are concerned (sometimes rightly) about funding, what might be most helpful for them to move forward is assistance in making the case for openness. While there are a few publishers in scholarship that are prioritizing profit over service, there are also many not-for-profits that just haven't figured out how to make open happen. For some, the expanded value that they could offer by moving to open could be key to ensuring their long-term survival.

My two bits ~

Heather Morrison