[open-science] Privacy and open research data

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Wed Mar 13 07:27:43 UTC 2013

All,

Just a pointer to our new working group on open data and personal data,
where I expect discussions around privacy, anonymisation and more:

(launch blog post: http://blog.okfn.org/2013/02/22/open-data-my-data/ )

Cheers,

Laura

On 12 March 2013 15:43, Song, Stephen <stephen.song at gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple of interesting recent finds on privacy:
>
> Private traits and attributes are predictable from digital records of
> human behavior
> http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/03/06/1218772110.full.pdf
> - an analysis of Facebook "likes" is a reasonably good predictor of
> sexual orientation, race, political orientation, and even "openness".
> You can try it out yourself at http://www.youarewhatyoulike.com/
>
> The Return of Results in Genetic Testing: Who Owes What to Whom, When, and
> Why?
> http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2227667
> - on the obligation to inform versus the the wish to know and the
> complexity that ensues
>
> -Steve
>
> On 25 February 2013 15:25, Song, Stephen <stephen.song at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Francois,
> >
> > It is a fascinating problem.  It is not hard to envisage a future
> > where there is so much data "exhaust" in the digital atmosphere that
> > it is technically impossible to preserve personal privacy in any kind
> > of meaningful way.  Perhaps we are already there.  If so, then we will
> > need mechanisms to help us choose not to look, in the same way we
> > might discreetly look the other way if someone's wardrobe
> > malfunctioned as opposed to re-viewing it millions of times on
> > youtube.  I recently came across a interesting paper entitled "Code,
> > Nudge, or Notice?"
> > (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2217013) which
> > explores different incentive mechanisms for getting people to do the
> > right thing or in this case not do the wrong thing.  I think there is
> > a lot of scope for creativity in encouraging openness while respecting
> > privacy.
> >
> > -Steve
> >
> > On 22 February 2013 10:23, Francois Grey <francois.grey at cern.ch> wrote:
> >> Hi Steve et al,
> >>
> >> The ethical challenges surrounding genetic and medical data are
> profound.
> >> This NYT article gives some fascinating examples:
> >>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/health/research/with-rise-of-gene-sequencing-ethical-puzzles.html?pagewanted=all
> >>
> >> I'm suspicious of simple data-centric solutions in this space. It is not
> >> simply a question of defining degrees of privacy on data sets, much as
> that
> >> could be useful. It's about who should decide the degree of privacy, and
> >> when. It's about ethics.
> >>
> >> One ethical problem is that "your data" is not just yours. It is shared
> to a
> >> high degree with your genetic family. Decisions you make to share data
> - in
> >> the hope of finding a cure for cancer, say - may infringe family
> members'
> >> privacy in ways that are hard to foresee.
> >>
> >> Another ethical problem is that "informed consent" is never fully
> informed,
> [...]

Dr Laura James

Co-Director
Open Knowledge Foundation
http://okfn.org
*Promoting Open Knowledge in a Digital Age*