[open-science] “We are entering an era of open science” says EU Vice President Neelie Kroes at launch of new global Research Data Alliance

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 22 18:13:26 UTC 2013

Jonathan --

At DataONE, we've been involved in the talks leading to the formation of
the Research Data Alliance, as have many of the other DataNet partners in
the US.  DataONE and these other partners all have a commitment to open
data, and I fully expect that it would be a major emphasis of RDA. I think
it is implicit in almost all of the activities I have seen to date.
 Certainly most of the the working group activities have moved beyond
simply stating that data should be open, and instead focus on how one gets
there via metadata interoperability, long-term preservation, etc. (see
http://rd-alliance.org/working-groups/current-candidate-groups/). Are you
thinking there is some explicit risk that RDA will try to be non-open, or
are you just trying to raise the profile of open data within the RDA
activities? Thanks for the clarification...

Matt