[open-science] Tinkering knowledge sharing, or why we need to hack science (op-ed for Al-Jazeera English)

Rayna rayna.st at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 10:07:21 UTC 2013

Many thanks, Ross! I'll be announcing the French Open Science group shortly
:) Was thinking of featuring a different citizen science project every week
(a short description, just to whet people's appetite for the topic ;) ) in
addition to starting to build original projects. How does this sound to
you?

Thanks :)
Rayna

2013/3/26 Ross Mounce <ross.mounce at okfn.org>

> I'd like to further commend Rayna's excellent article in Al Jazeera
>
> Tinkering knowledge sharing, or why we need to hack science (25th March,
> 2013)
> http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/03/2013325182246584689.html
>
> It includes a lot of interesting projects I have to confess I wasn't aware
> of before
> e.g.
> http://www.wikikids.nl/
> http://fr.vikidia.org/wiki/Accueil
> http://nestwatch.org/
>
> Here's an extract (but do go and read the whole piece and watch the videos
> too!):
>
> "The cliche of the lonely scholar with an unhealthy look and asocial
> behaviour is still widespread, but gets more and more pervasive as
> communication technologies advance. What remains true, however, is the
> conservatism and rigidity of research institutions. Science is built upon
> data collection, analysis, critique and reuse, yet the ordinary
> science-doing as imposed by research institutions requires secrecy, thus
> working against the maximisation of knowledge dissemination. Before one
> screams about paranoia, think of paywalls locking studies from access,
> publication of datasets as PDFs or even images.
>
> The reluctance to publish data and share knowledge openly has, however,
> started to attract people's attention. A general move towards openness
> generally referred to as "open science<http://science.okfn.org/2012/11/28/making-open-science-possible-global-young-academy-statement-on-open-science/>
> " has emerged, inspired from the spirit of the free and open source
> software (FOSS) movement. Similarly to FOSS ethics, promoting software
> source code to be made public, reusable and modifiable by anyone, the
> central theme of open science is to clearly account for methods, generated
> data and obtained results thus enabling a massively distributed
> collaboration that speeds up the pace at which science is done.
>
> A very powerful concept - "citizen science" - has naturally emerged along
> the lines of open science. Countless professional researchers blog about
> their work and discuss online results obtained by their peers. Such open
> discussion permits non-professionals to participate as well. The surge of
> the hacker/maker/do-it-yourself movement has tremendously contributed to
> engage non-professional scientists in science."
>

> Best,
>
> Ross
>

> --
> Open Knowledge Foundation
> Community Coordinator, Open Science
> www.okfn.org

"Change l'ordre du monde plutôt que tes désirs."

http://de.linkedin.com/in/raynas