[open-science] Data sharing at the European Medicines Agency

Iain.Hrynaszkiewicz at f1000.com Iain.Hrynaszkiewicz at f1000.com
Thu May 9 09:33:52 UTC 2013

Hello all,

We rarely seem to have discussions of open data in medicine - where, in my opinion, the benefits are most tangible - so am sharing a link to a blog about recent events at the European Medicines Agency. The Agency seems far from implementing an OKF-compliant open data policy but is establishing a process to allow greater access - "proactive publication", whatever that means - to data supporting drug license applications in the EU.

My blog/report is here:
http://blog.f1000.com/2013/05/07/one-step-forward-for-better-evidence/

And within the recently-published, widely-sought advice to the EMA (I was amongst ~200 contributors) there are some issues relevant to the open science community now.

Such as, copyright, sui generis database rights, and Creative Commons CC0 (Dryad, figshare are mentioned) for data - within the legal discussions document: http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Other/2013/04/WC500142857.pdf

Also, data standards and formats (unfortunately some interested parties continue to recommend PDF for some data):
http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Other/2013/04/WC500142850.pdf

And probably others within the documents, http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/news_and_events/news/2013/04/news_detail_001778.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1

See my blog for further thoughts. I encourage the open science community to read and comment on the EMA's draft policy when it is published next month. This is a chance to make medical evidence - albeit slowly - better with more open science.

Best regards,

Iain

Iain Hrynaszkiewicz
Outreach Director

FACULTY of 1000
http://f1000.com

Direct: +44 (0)20 7079 4888 | Mobile: +44 (0)7961 422 687 | Email: iain.hrynaszkiewicz at f1000.com | Skype: iainh_z
Faculty of 1000, Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland St, London W1T 4LB, UK

F1000Prime<http://f1000prime.com> | F1000Trials<http://f1000trials.com> | F1000Research<http://f1000research.com> | F1000Posters<http://f1000posters.com/>

[F1000Research: The fastest way to publish. Submit now.]<http://f1000research.com/?utm_source=companyemails&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=auto-signatures>

Faculty of 1000 and F1000 are trading names of Faculty of 1000 Limited. This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. Faculty of 1000 Limited does not accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Faculty of 1000 Limited. No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Faculty of 1000 Limited by means of e-mail communication. Faculty of 1000 Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 3739756 Registered Office Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4LB