[open-science] Fwd: Fw: Open Knowledge promotes fast, creative innovation across sectors - Knowledge Exchange delivers discussion paper on Open Knowledge

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 12:35:04 UTC 2013

Thought I'd forward on this message about a brand new report on open
knowledge from Knowledge Exchange. Their discussion paper is available at:
http://www.knowledge-exchange.info/Default.aspx?ID=682

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:24:12 +0000
From: Knowledge Exchange Office <keo at bs.dk>
To: Knowledge Exchange Office <keo at bs.dk>
Cc: Keith Russell <keithr at kulturstyrelsen.dk>
Subject: Open Knowledge promotes fast, creative innovation across sectors -
Knowledge Exchange delivers discussion paper on Open Knowledge

Open Knowledge promotes fast, creative innovation across sectors

Knowledge Exchange delivers a discussion paper exploring the rich field of
open knowledge in order to help our partners effectively achieve their
objectives.

'Open knowledge' is the power to promote fast, creative innovation by
allowing an idea to leave your hands. Essentially, something is 'open' if
anyone is free to use, reuse and redistribute it. It should only be subject
to the requirement to the requirement to attribute the author, if even
that. Knowledge Exchange is exploring the rich field of open knowledge in
order to help our partners effectively achieve their objectives. To this
end, scoping sessions took place with experts which revealed strong views
on the value of making knowledge open and steps which need to be taken to
achieve this. These views are collected in the Knowledge Exchange
discussion paper on Open Knowledge<
http://www.knowledge-exchange.info/Admin/Public/DWSDownload.aspx?File=%2fFiles%2fFiler%2fdownloads%2fOpen+Knowledge%2fOpen_Knowledge_discussion_paper.pdf
>.
Mechanisms of open creation offer opportunities to work and exchange with
other sectors - research, cultural heritage and government. To make true
use of this collaboration we require an increase of openness, to create
better proposals and solutions. We simply cannot afford to not open up, we
need an open approach to tackle the challenges facing us.
Though we may be easily persuaded about the benefits of open, the practice
is different. People still hold knowledge to themselves or want to make
money from knowledge. The current competitive environment encourages
researchers and employees to seek protection against the theft of their
ideas, which they do by locking down work behind patents and intellectual
property rights. We need to enforce openness as there are not sufficient
incentives at present.
The experts agreed to not just go out making plans or spend time convincing
yourself that open is good.  Get out and about and show new things to
others - convince them there's another way.
The paper closes with suggestions for actions to take when publishing or
funding content.

The discussion paper is available at:
http://www.knowledge-exchange.info/Default.aspx?ID=682

With many thanks to
Hans Bennis - Meertens Institute
Rachel Bruce - Jisc
Daniel Mietchen - Open Knowledge Foundation
Arthur van der Molen - University of Applied Sciences Rotterdam
Leo Plugge - Scientific and technical advisory council SURF
Mogens Sandfær - Technical Information Centre Denmark
for sharing their views and Nicola Yeeles for writing the paper.

About Knowledge Exchange
Knowledge Exchange is a co-operative effort that supports the use and
development of Information and Communications Technologies (ICT)
infrastructure for higher education and research. The European partners of
Knowledge Exchange, CSC, DEFF, DFG, JISC and SURF, share a common vision
based on their national strategies. That vision is: To make a layer of
scholarly and scientific content openly available on the Internet. In order
to realise this goal, the partners  work on supporting existing and new
programmes on national and international levels, coordinating efforts on
building an integrated repository infrastructure, exploring new
developments in the future of publishing, facilitating integrated
management services within education and research institutions and
supporting libraries in the digital age.

For further information: www.knowledge-exchange.info<
http://www.knowledge-exchange.info>

Best regards,
Keith
Keith Russell
Knowledge Exchange Coordinator | www.knowledge-exchange.info<
http://www.knowledge-exchange.info/> | kru at knowledge-exchange.info<mailto:
kru at knowledge-exchange.info> | Danish Agency for Culture | H.C. Andersens
Boulevard 2, 2nd floor | DK-1553 Copenhagen V | Denmark | T +31 (0)30 234
66 99 | F +31 (0)30 233 29 60 |
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CBC771.1C315CA0]
Knowledge Exchange is a co-operative effort of CSC (Finland), DEFF
(Denmark), DFG (Germany), Jisc (United Kingdom) and SURF (The Netherlands)

--
Ross Mounce