[open-science] [Open-access] Data expedition idea - scholarly publishing income

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 21 20:54:37 UTC 2013

I agree that this is very important. I have no first-hand experience, but
suggest that at least two publishers, OUP and CUP, as member departments ot
universities, will legally have to answer FOI requests for information. I
have no idea whether their profits are acceptable. We may be able to use
them as calibration/controls on things like:
* how many staff are employed in what departments
* what percentage of revenue is spent on X, Y, Z
* what profits are re-invested
* how much is spent on "public good" (e.g. running conferences)

I suspect a full investigation of a publisher may have to work on
externable observables (staff complement, local taxes, etc.) as well as
income (which may be difficult to determine).