[open-science] [Open-access] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 5 09:32:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Joseph Mcarthur <
joseph.mcarthur.10 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Potentially the Open Access Button team might be interested in this.
>
> We'd like to make repositories a big part of the tool.

I think that's a great idea.

> We're currently tossing around ideas (some concrete some not) around
> leveraging databases like openDOAR (and the repositories indexed there) as
> a way to give our users access to papers, and building in ways to promote
> researchers depositing papers. One of our dev team is also wanting to
> create a way for authors to submit open access versions of papers directly
> to us - which, if it worked would almost create a repository-type system.

Yes.

My personal feeling is that the current generation of repositories (V1?)
have concentrated on deposition and are very poor at discovery, indexing,
search, etc. Their motivation is often driven by University management
procedures (e.g. REF in UK) and not by use.

So I would love to see a user-facing repository - one that people outside
the University and its library *wanted* to use. I'd like to see this built
on present thinking (GitHub, Wikipedia, StackOverflow) not the repository
technologies in current use (EPrints, DSpace - I put 200000 objects in my
DSpace and can't get them out as the architecture doesn't allow it).

Also I'd love to see a repository which was independent of a given
institution. Part of the current problem is that every university feels it
has to have one, rather than having a few global approaches.

We have to be able to search it on our terms, so we have to develop our own
search technologies. That is why I am looking at CKAN as it has a lot of
users and many of them effectively pay for it. But it may be only a
learning exercise.