[open-science] [Open-access] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Thu Dec 5 12:16:12 UTC 2013

Hi All

[Cc'ing the CKAN4RDM list this time!]

I've been in touch with Joss Winn and he isn't planning to attend the
conference, while it would be good to incorporate CKAN into the workshop to
demonstrate some potential uses, that doesn't need to be theme and was just
an initial suggestion. I mentioned to the Open Repositories team that we
have several working group members interested in search/indexing/mining as
well and said I would ask for suggestions.

People seem to be pointing towards:
1) Automatic/crowdsourced deposition of OA work into repositories via
OAButton system or other means (maybe we could persuade a few live
repositories to implement the deposit button Mark discussed).
2) Indexing content for search and discovery.
3) Bridging between where people publish code and data (e.g.
GitHub/BitBucket) and then how that's incorporated and referenced in the
literature (thanks Arfon for this suggestion!) How do repositories fit in?

I copy in Imma who is from the Open Repositories organising committee to
see if she has any feedback on the ideas so far and we can decide which one
might best make for a coherent workshop. From last year's programme these
are typically 3-4 hours. This document should also give a feel for the
kinds of sessions that were being run
http://or2013.net/program/session-schedule.

Jenny