[open-science] Can you help Royal Society with Taxonomies of Science?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 5 14:21:42 UTC 2013

I got this mail from Francis Bacon (Royal Society of Britain), whowould
like a scientific taxonomy for organising the RS webpages. We swapped
emails and we both agree there is no perfect answer, but we'd like
suggestions for high-level taxonomies. It's probably more important for
them to exist and be proven useful in some field than trying to create yet
another one. I'd look to libraries, encyclopedias, museums, etc. for
authoritative inspiration:

Hi Peter

Hope you’re well.

Do you happen to know of any open or collaborative
taxonomies/classifications of scientific subjects?

One that might, for instance, specify that bioinformatics is a sub-category
of both biology and computer science.

We’re doing some planning for our website and I’d like to ensure we know
about all the options before picking a particular taxonomy/folksonomy.

Many thanks in advance,

Francis

Francis Bacon
Digital Manager