[open-science] [Open-access] OKF at Open Repositories 2014

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 6 17:21:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Laurent Romary <laurent.romary at inria.fr>wrote:

> For the record, let me defend the “French” model (since there seems to be
> a Liege one):
> - central repository

Central to France? If so I approve.

> to minimise costs and improve visibility (you’ve all hear of HAL, can you
> name the on at the University of Stirling?)

No - it said it was the first one in Scotland. But I wasn't responsible for
it and YES, I think the idea of every university thinking up a trendy name
is stupid

> - freedom for institution to define their deposit policy (but I am proud
> of the Inria mandate)

Good.

> - availability of all content for data mining (OK, you’ll see no CC on the
> current version, but the new (codename V3) version should go CC-BY (of
> course; I just wonder why one would ask…)

Because some librarians (certainly in UK) see it as part of their job to
emphasize what you can't do... Many deliberately (e.g. Bath) add CC-NC

OK. Peter, our PhD repository (tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/) is full of
> boring stuff in French, but if you’re interested, do index!

My program AMI does not understand the word "boring". She has the emotional
apparatus of a FORTRAN compiler so she will have a look. At present we
index on Species and they should be the same, so this is a great opportunity

> To answer the current argument on repositories. The most important thing
> for me is to ensure that we have a public and sustainable research
> infrastructure (all words are important).

Agreed. But that has to include  people like the current members of the
discussion, not just research administrators.

I now see colleagues rushing to ResearchGate or Acdemia just because they
> receive nice messages tickling their ego

Agreed. I am worried about these commercial startups

> and they don’t even notice that their online papers in HAL are downloaded
> 50 times more. OK, it’s maybe our fault that we do not provide adequate
> statistics and that we do not consider researchers’ ego enough.

Firstly people outside the inward-looking repo circle need to be made
welcome. That's not just me, it's Mike Taylor, it's the OAButton
undergraduate students, it's Kitware, it's the #scholarlypoor. It's
Wikipedia and Mozilla. Repositories should be actively seeking the outside
world.

Secondly there has to be investment of effort in getting people using this
in a modern way. Maybe this happens for HAL, but it certainly doesn't in
UK. Maybe I can help make it happen. Who knows?