[open-science] [Open-access] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Natalia Manola natalia at di.uoa.gr
Fri Apr 25 08:19:00 UTC 2014

Dear Michele, all

OpenAIRE tries to maintain an up-to-date list of what is happening in
the EC countries in relation to OA policies and initiatives.
Check out our detailed pages at https://beta.openaire.eu/oa-member-states

Best,
Natalia
On 4/25/14, 10:58 AM, Michelle Brook wrote:
> And just to say, I would love to see more posts on the open access
> blog about the state of open access in various countries, and various
> initiatives taking place.
>
> I think we can all learn a lot from each other :-)
>
> Drop me a line if you would be up for this...
>
> Michelle
>
> On 25 Apr 2014, at 08:37, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk
> <mailto:pm286 at cam.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>> Fantastic , Tom! Other countries will look to follow your lead.
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Michelle Brook
>> <michelle.brook at okfn.org <mailto:michelle.brook at okfn.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Oh that's great news Tom! Please keep us all updated :-D
>>
>>     On 25 Apr 2014, at 08:17, Everton Zanella Alvarenga
>>     <everton.alvarenga at okfn.org <mailto:everton.alvarenga at okfn.org>>
>>     wrote:
>>
>>>     At the Brazilian mailing lists people are trying to figure out
>>>     our numbers.
>>>
>>>     I hope someone can use our very recent access to information law
>>>     to approach more precise numbers. :)
>>>
>>>     Tom

>>>     <michelle.brook at okfn.org <mailto:michelle.brook at okfn.org>>:
>>>
>>>         I'd love to see if similar data can be captured worldwide,
>>>         where freedom of information acts/ similar legislation is in
>>>         place & relevant.
>>>
>>>         Thanks for looking into Hong Kong Scott :-)
>>>
>>>         Michelle
>>>
>>>         > On 25 Apr 2014, at 07:35, Bjoern Brembs
>>>         <b.brembs at gmail.com <mailto:b.brembs at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>         >
>>>         > As I commented on Gowers' post, these figures (not by
>>>         publisher but by library) are open knowledge in Germany:
>>>         >
>>>         > http://www.hbz-nrw.de/angebote/dbs/
>>>         >
>>>         > German libraries spent in 2011
>>>         >
>>>         >    170 million EUR on books
>>>         >    130 million EUR on subscriptions
>>>         >
>>>         > http://blogarchive.brembs.net/comment-n900.html
>>>         >
>>>         > Here the link to an English overview for 2012 (2013 is
>>>         still in the works):
>>>         >
>>>         >
>>>         http://www.hbz-nrw.de/dokumentencenter/produkte/dbs/aktuell/auswertungen/gesamt/dbs_gesamt_engl_12.pdf
>>>         > These figures are broken down in different sections in
>>>         several documents - but all of these are in German only.
>>>         >
>>>         > Bjoern
>>>         >
>>>         >> On Thursday, April 24, 2014, 11:47:22 PM, you wrote:
>>>         >>
>>>         >> Thanks Peter - looping the open access working group into
>>>         this discussion.
>>>         >
>>>         >
>>>         >> Michelle
>>>         >
>>>         >
>>>         >> On 24 April 2014 19:29, Peter Murray-Rust
> [...]

University of Athens, Greece
Department of Informatics & Telecommunications
http://www.madgik.di.uoa.gr
skype: natalia.manola
tel: +30 210 727.5226