[open-science] [Open-access] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 21:35:57 UTC 2014

The issue for me is control. Elsevier controls us to a huge extent and it's
getting worse. In the UK the Hargreaves process is going through the final
parliamentary stages. Elsevier are spending millions on dollars on lobbying
against it. It;s critical that the UK government holds firm and passes it
by June 1st.

What can I do to stop this? I don't have millions of dollars. The most
effective thing IMO is to show that Elsevier is an untrustworthy,
unreliable company. So I have highlighted this over many weeks. I have
mailed my MP and asked him to represent to our minister David Willetts that
Elsevier are breaking contracts and laws and are technically incompetent.
They've noted this. I hope it  sways their decision by 1%. If so my effort
is worth it.

What else can I do? lie down in front of the Houses of Parliament? We
already lost that right. Go to jail like Aaron? Yes, if it would do any
good.

And the only other thing is to try to change the minds of academics - who
ultimately have the peer in their hands.

And I am also trying to show the real danger of publishers moving into data
where they will do far worse damage in controlling us
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2014/04/29/is-elsevier-going-to-take-control-of-us-and-our-data-the-vice-chancellor-of-cambridge-thinks-so-and-im-terrified/

Yes - keep fighting on prices. But prices are not the primary issue - it's
control.