[open-science] [Open-access] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Wed Apr 30 08:08:50 UTC 2014

Here the link to the latest Elsevier annual report http://www.elsevier.com/about/annual-reports

Few highlights:

Scientific, Technical & Medical achieved good volume growth in
primary research submissions and usage, and in databases &
tools, across scientific, technical & medical markets. Journal
quality, as measured by Impact Factor, continued to improve.
Electronic revenues, which now account for 72% of total revenues,
grew strongly across all segments.

…
The latest version of
SciVal, our scientific, technical & medical segment’s
tool for universities and other institutions to assess
their relative performance, runs on HPCC Systems
technology. SciVal provides analysis of over 30m
pieces of content and 350m citations from 4,600
institutions in 220 countries. The business is deploying
HPCC Systems on ScienceDirect, its primary research
database, aimed at recommending related articles.
The scheme increased click-throughs by 65%.

…
Revenue
Scientific, Technical & Medical 2013, £m 2,126
Adjusted operating profit
Scientific, Technical & Medical 2013, £m 826

………….
MORE THAN 11M SCIENTISTS
DOWNLOAD MORE THAN
700M ARTICLES FROM
SCIENCEDIRECT, THE
WORLD’S LEADING PRIMARY
SCIENTIFIC, TECHNOLOGY &
MEDICAL DATABASE

……………
The University of Leeds Library includes three
campus facilities, which together house around
3m volumes as well as countless individual
manuscript and archival items. The Library
provides access to over 35,000 electronic journal
titles as well as an increasing number of
electronic databases and monographs.

AND in Comparisons Elsevier

ScienceDirect is one of the world’s
largest databases of peer-reviewed