[open-science] Consultation on Open Science Local Groups and Ambassadors

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Tue Dec 16 16:46:24 UTC 2014

Hi All

Scheme and expanding the local groups.

Graham Steel, the working group local groups coordinator and I had a long
call the other day looking at how to grow open science activities in
different countries.

*Local Groups:*
Primarily we would like to start more local groups! Anyone can start a
local group, just get in touch and we can try and link you with other
people in your area, help set up a web presence and suggest projects to get
started. Get in touch now if you're interested!

The current local groups list is here:
http://wiki.okfn.org/Open_Science/Local
Instructions on starting a group are here:
http://wiki.okfn.org/Open_Science/Local/Guide
Please note: these wiki pages still need some work!

*Open Science Ambassador scheme:*
As you may know Open Knowledge operates a Local Ambassador Scheme, which
you can read more about here:
http://blog.okfn.org/2013/03/11/introducing-the-new-global-community-ambassador-scheme/

We'd like to have a similar scheme for open science. Following the existing
scheme, Open Science Ambassadorships would be one-year positions whereby
the Ambassador becomes the main point of contact for Open Knowledge
International regarding open science policy and projects in their nation
state. Ambassadors make a commitment to undertake certain activities within
the year through a plan they submit during the application process and are
rewarded with the title of 'Open Science Ambassador', access to support and
a diverse network of contacts through Open Knowledge and the opportunity to
take up speaking opportunities and other high profile engagements
channelled through Open Knowledge.

We drafted a process for appointing Open Science Ambassadors:
http://wiki.okfn.org/Open_Science/Local/Guide#Open_Science_Ambassadors

***We would like to suggest that all active local group leads (i.e. people
we know are organising meetings, workshops, projects etc) should
automatically get this title for a year if they want it.***

*Difference between local group coordinators and ambassadors:*
Both roles are really important and we're very keen to avoid the situation
where Ambassadors are viewed as 'higher up' than group coordinators. This
is definitely not the objective, they have a different focus.

Local coordinators run a local group, which could involve meetings,
conferences, projects and other activities. This is a very flexible role,
often working with a team and following your own and local interests. There
is no requirement for particular returns, reporting or any organisational
commitments. You still get the full support of the global working group
coordination team and the whole network :)

Ambassadors have specific goals, which may include establishing a group or
a local project but could be awareness-raising or policy-related
activities. They are time-limited and we hope this turnover will bring new
people with great ideas into the open science community and support them.
There will be an application process, a blog post to report at the end of
the year, occasional follow-ups and requests for Ambassadors to represent
the open science working group locally with speaking engagements and
requests for written material. These requests will also be shared with the
local coordinator and we expect Ambassadors will be members of their local
groups (where they exist).

*Consultation:*
We would like to open a week of consultation with the all of you and then,
if the scheme is judged to be a good idea, advertise for Ambassadors and
review at the January working group coordination meeting.

If you could find time to comment via this email thread by Sun 21 Dec, that
would be really helpful to hone these ideas.

Really looking forward to hearing from you!

Jenny and Graham