[open-science] "Building up Open Access, Open Education and Open Data for Open Science" on 2nd Sep 2014

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 24 12:56:12 UTC 2014

Dear All,

We are  pleased to inform that for this year's OSGIS  http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/osgis/home.aspx     we will be running a session on   "Building up Open Access, Open Education and Open Data for Open Science" on 2 September 2014  for bringing together colleagues from Open Access , Open Data and Open Education for building synergies and collaboration opportunities with the  "Geo for All" http://www.geoforall.org/  initiative.

We are very pleased that Professor John Wood (Secretary General, Association of Commonwealth Universities) will be delivering the keynote presentation.  We will also be running an RDA for newcomers  session (led by  Dr Herman Stehouwer, Research Data Alliance) to welcome new colleagues to Research Data Alliance  https://rd-alliance.org/

In addition to the excellent lineup of presentations ,we also have a very strong line up of workshops

*             AgriGIS workshop (led by Didier Leibovici, University of Nottingham)
*             AURIN worshop (led by Jack Burton, University of Melbourne)
*             QGIS plugin development workshop  (led by Saber Razmjooei, Lutra Consulting)
*             OpenLayers 3 & Leaflet (led by Matt Walker, Astun Technologies)
*             Data Processing with WPS and PostGIS (led by Jo Cook, Astun Technologies)
*             RDA for newcomers - (led by  Dr Herman Stehouwer, Research Data Alliance)

This year, we have strong focus on Open Data and Government for OSGIS and in keeping with this we are pleased that  Open Data Nottingham http://www.opendatanottingham.org.uk/    will also be giving the keynote of OSGIS 2014. The amazing work that colleagues at Open Data Nottingham has done to support and facilitate Nottingham City Council's commitment to freeing up Nottingham's data and how this has enabled citizens to be able to use the data  free of charge in innovative ways to create websites, apps and mobile products is definitely something that other local authorities and government organisations can learn from.

OSGIS is all about the community and building collaborations and we are looking forward to hear ideas from  Steven Feldman, Jo Cook, Saber Razmjooei, Jonathan Moules, Jeremy Morley, Antony Scott, Matt Walker, Ian Edwards and many others who will all be sharing their experiences.

This year in addition to Open Source GIS workshops , we decided to have workshops focussed on specific research themes to share ideas of what is happening globally and build collaborations.

So we are pleased  that the Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network (AURIN) will be running a workshop (led by Dr Jack Barton) aimed at those involved in researching urban environments.

The Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network (AURIN) https://aurin.org.au/  is a national Australian initiative designed to connect urban researchers, policy and decision makers across the country. The AURIN Portal provides detailed datasets, information tools and a network of expertise covering every aspect of the built environment. This workshop will introduce and guide you through the AURIN portal, setting up user-specific accounts, accessing data, exploring patterns and extracting information in the form of tables, maps, charts and more sophisticated routines including walkability analysis and employment clustering. Further to this, an information systems layer of advanced spatial-statistical and analytical routines has been developed in an open environment, to give a rapid overview of the urban information landscape- and facilitate collaboration using an extensive framework of open source components at every level.

The full conference agenda is at http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/osgis/home.aspx

We are looking forward to see you at OSGIS 2014.

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr Suchith Anand
Nottingham Geospatial Institute
Nottingham Geospatial Building
University of Nottingham  NG7 2 TU
Tel: (0)115 82 32750
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/engineering/people/suchith.anand

Be part of   "Geo for All"<http://www.geoforall.org/>

Leading Open Geospatial Science through ICA Commission on Open Source Geospatial Technologies

Mission - Building up Open Source, Open Standards, Open Data research for bridging the digital divide

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.