[open-science] [Open-access] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Tom Olijhoek tom.olijhoek at gmail.com
Fri May 2 10:01:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Fabiana Kubke <mf.kubke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am a bit late to the discussion - but if anyone is interested there is
>> interesting data on library expenditures in New Zealand and Australia here
>> http://statistics.caul.edu.au/inst_data.php
>>

> You're not late... :-) this is very welcome.
>

>>  If I read hte data correctly, New Zealand spends about 50 million p.a.
>> (NZ Dollars) in serial subscriptions. This does not include the copyright
>> licencing fees that allow the reuse for education (as far as I understand).
>>

> Can you expand on the re-use fees? This is an additional cost to
> subscriptions. Re-use payments are at least as problematic as
> subscriptions. But even harder to get a handle on. (?more FOIs?)
>
> I would think that copyright law always includes fair use policy which
applies especially to use for educational purposes?

Tom Olijhoek
coordinator @ccess open access working group  at OKF
DOAJ  member of Advisory Board
freelance advisor for the WorldBank Publishing Group
TEL +(31)645540804
SKYPE tom.olijhoek
Twitter   @ccess
LinkedIn  http://nl.linkedin.com/in/tomolijhoek/