[open-science] Canada announces Open Science commitment

Richard Akerman scilib at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 11:29:06 UTC 2014

The UNESCO Global Open Access Portal (GOAP)
http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/portals-and-platforms/goap/

has beautifully-detailed manually-curated country pages listing
policies by country around the world.

Some ideas to consider:
* turn the UNESCO GOAP into a wiki?
* dashboard the GOAP information and make it into an Open Science
equivalent of the Open Data Census, with a similar process to call out
for annual updates?
* propose standards for machine-readable open access and open science
policies, to lead to eventual automation of the GOAP data collection?

I spoke to Bhanu R. Neupane at UNESCO about the issues of
sustainability for the GOAP and he was certainly aware of the
challenges and open to discussing possible solutions.

To be considered is how to make the wiki open enough to enable
participation without being so open it gets spammed.

If this is too large a chunk of work, I would at least consider
recording in the working group wiki only announcements that are
incremental to the information in GOAP, so that those updates could be
rolled back into the pages when and if UNESCO does an update.

-- Richard

--
Richard Akerman
scilib at gmail.com