[open-science] Yesterday, we leaked the French agreement with Elsevier

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 16:59:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Rembrandt Bakker <r.bakker at donders.ru.nl>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Congratulations with the revealing article. You did your homework well,
> mentioning the reassuring news from The Netherlands that negotiators from
> the joint Dutch Universities, backed by the Ministry of Education (and
> other things), are not giving in that easily. The link in the article
> points to another link which is broken. Here is the proper statement on the
> failed negotiations:
> http://www.vsnu.nl/news/newsitem/11-negotiations-between-elsevier-and-
> universities-failed.html
>
> What the Dutch negotiators aim for is that Elseviers does get paid a lump
> sum of money, similar to what it receives today from all the Dutch
> libraries together, but that in return they should publish all articles
> from researchers at those universities as Open Access without further fees.
> The driving force behind this is that funding bodies realize that if they
> require open access publications, they also need to pay for that. But they
> already pay the libraries for journal subscriptions.
> Without these negotiations, the open access requirement would be an
> additional subsidy for the publishers.

Thank you for this clear explanation.

> Given that the negotiations failed, as a Dutch researcher I now face the
> risk of having to ask authors of recent non-open access publications to
> send me a pdf. For legacy stuff from the 80s and 90s I will need to make
> friends in France...

Yes.

Of course this doesn't scale for content-mining. where we plan to read a
thousand papers in a few hours. However if you are collaborating with a UK
researcher, then *they* have the right to content-mine anything they have
the right to read (for non-commercial research).

The UK government is keen to see the new law generate new activity so if
you wanted to visit C*mbr*dg* on a joint-research project I think they
would approve.

P.