[open-science] Yesterday, we leaked the French agreement with Elsevier

Rembrandt Bakker r.bakker at donders.ru.nl
Tue Nov 11 16:27:05 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Congratulations with the revealing article. You did your homework well,
mentioning the reassuring news from The Netherlands that negotiators
from the joint Dutch Universities, backed by the Ministry of Education
(and other things), are not giving in that easily. The link in the
article points to another link which is broken. Here is the proper
statement on the failed negotiations:
http://www.vsnu.nl/news/newsitem/11-negotiations-between-elsevier-and-universities-failed.html

What the Dutch negotiators aim for is that Elseviers does get paid a
lump sum of money, similar to what it receives today from all the Dutch
libraries together, but that in return they should publish all articles
from researchers at those universities as Open Access without further
fees. The driving force behind this is that funding bodies realize that
if they require open access publications, they also need to pay for
that. But they already pay the libraries for journal subscriptions.
Without these negotiations, the open access requirement would be an
additional subsidy for the publishers.

Given that the negotiations failed, as a Dutch researcher I now face the
risk of having to ask authors of recent non-open access publications to
send me a pdf. For legacy stuff from the 80s and 90s I will need to make
friends in France...

Rembrandt Bakker