[open-science] The Gates Foundation's new Open Access policy

S.C. Edmunds scott at gigasciencejournal.com
Fri Nov 21 03:25:58 UTC 2014

>From my dealings with the Agriculture initiative people there, they've
already been trying to practice this, as they were very supportive and keen
to make sure the efforts of the rice 3,000 (3K) genome project (of which
they were the biggest funders) were quickly and openly released to the
global plant breeding community. Earlier this year we published a Data Note
(description) of the first data to come from the project (CC-BY 4.0 of
course):

The 3,000 rice genomes project *GigaScience* 2014, 3:7
http://www.gigasciencejournal.com/content/3/1/8

This coincided with the public release of 13.4TB of data (all CC0),
immediately quadrupling the amount of rice genome data in the public
archives:

The 3000 Rice Genomes Project (2014): The Rice 3000 Genomes Project Data.
GigaScience Database. http://dx.doi.org/10.5524/200001

See also:
http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/gigablog/2014/05/29/publish-data-fight-world-hunger/

It is an interesting irony that much of this has been made possible on the
proceeds of selling closed source software, but they sound genuinely driven
to make the outputs of their work and funds open to maximise its impact.

Scott Edmunds PhD
*GigaScience*
BGI-Hong Kong Ltd.

Tel: (+852) 3610-3531