[open-science] Planet Open Science

Jack Park jackpark at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 00:37:00 UTC 2014

Hi William,

I'm very glad you copied David. If you scroll up higher in this thread, you
will see that I offered an explanation, based on working with David and
with DebateGraph since 2007. I think it's a bit over the top to
characterize the terms as "draconian" but you're welcome to do so if you
need to.

I am more than certain that David will be able to explain the entire
situation. But, let me say this: I am already building tools which mimic
aspects of DebateGraph. You can visit my engineering prototype at
http://www.topicquests.org:3000/
and I can assure you that David has been following it closely; I have
absolutely no reason to expect a lawsuit from him, ever. In fact, our
interests lie entirely in "federation", that is to say, working together.
David is close to announcing a web services API that will let us share.
Certainly nothing "draconian" in that, what?

In fact, David is attending the fourth international Knowledge Federation
Conference in Dubrovnik this year. I co-founded that group with Dino
Karabeg, but this will be the first conference I do not attend, owing to
heavy workload on my prototype. That conference starts this weekend.  See
http://www.knowledgefederation.org/ for more.

I would like to remind that when I suggested DebateGraph to Svetlana, my
intention had *nothing* to do with actually running PlanetOpenScience
there. Rather, the intention was to make a rapid move to a platform well
suited to the kind of structured thinking necessary to identify all
stakeholders views and assemble that into a design process for a different
platform to satisfy those needs established in that process.  I did point
out that her graph could be embedded in any portal eventually established
just to keep those conversations alive.

And, let me close with this: if you do craft some cool tools, please keep
me informed.  All of my code is up at github. I'll look forward to seeing
yours as well.

Cheers
Jack