[open-science] Possibly interesting for this list: see item 3 in particular

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 21 22:17:06 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 11:05 PM, William Gunn <william.gunn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Puneet, it's a large organization. There are some people who get it and
> really want to do the right things and there are some people who are less
> progressive. The important point is that in a large organization like this,
> not everyone is perfectly in agreement about how we should engage, yet
> active teams have to have a large amount of autonomy and self-direction if
> they want to be efficient. The combination of these two factors means that
> you will occasionally see certain things come out that seem more
> progressive and occasionally things will happen that seem like a step back.
>
> The people involved in this effort are of the first type. Perhaps the best
> response is to celebrate the wins and regret the failures, rather than
> letting the worst things tarnish the good.

This is nothing to do with Open Science.

> Peter, at this stage, we're just soliciting feedback on ideas, but please
> know your concerns are shared by the team.

There is a Research Black Hole in Text And Data Mining at Elsevier. They
have been lobbying and throwing money to stop this research activity except
on their terms.  Last Month Gemma Hersh from Elsevier stated repeatedly in
public that Elsevier could ignore the new UK legislation and stop me doing
research. She is legally wrong.

Elsevier has consistently lobbied against Open Access (PRISM, SOPA, etc,)
and has done a great deal to prevent the spread of Open Knowledge. Half my
research effort has been destroyed by having to spend time on challenging
their activities.

I shall not post on this issue again

Best,