[open-science] Web Payments in Open Science

Brent Shambaugh brent.shambaugh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 05:44:25 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Science and payments were on the mind.

I was specifically mentioning the web payments work that has been occuring
on the W3C site. It appears that both Dave Raggett (1) and Manu Sporny (2)
have led initiatives. Manu Sporny, CEO of Digital Bazaar and proponent of a
web payments standard, wrote a post (3,4) about Web Payments with Open
Access journals. In this post, he does mention paying a small fee to read
journal articles. I suppose this could include
PDFs.

I very much enjoyed the article that Ullrich linked to. It speaks of three
tools to enable research: crowd funding, social payments, and virtual
currencies. From the article, crowd funding and social payments seem to be
different in that crowd funding allocates resources to something that has
yet to exist and social payments allocates resources to something that
already exists.

The article also brings up some interesting points. It states that,
"research as a process is lengthy, institutionally anchored, and
team-based." and that, "The results of the research process in many
disciplines are not immediately 'tangible' -- rather they are documented in
articles, books, or conference presentations, and more rarely in patents
and new products." with the conclusion that, "Presumably, crowdfunding for
science and research will have to rely on entirely different types of
information.", as opposed to a Kickstarter project. Three elements were
suggested for a crowdfunding platform were "(a) visualization of knowledge
gaps, (b) results achieved by funds, and (c) participation options for
supporters".

Flattr was described as an example for the socialy payments tool. It allows
for small payments to be sent to content creators through the push of a
button.

I have wondered how value networks (5) might be integrated into open
research, with the use of of web payments. I've thought that money could
flow through value networks using something like the MNDF project (6) I
considered earlier, which seems to resemble social payments but considers
dependencies as well. While complex, would it be possible to have external
and internal value networks interacting together producing some sort of
open source ecosystem? The Sensorica project (6) is looking into open value
networks (7).

(1) Payments Task Force, http://www.w3.org/wiki/Payments_Task_Force

(2) W3C Web Payments Community Group,
http://www.w3.org/wiki/W3C_Web_Payments_Community_Group

(3) Manu Sporny, Aaron Swartz, PaySwarm, and Academic Journals, January 13,
2013, http://manu.sporny.org/2013/payswarm-journals/

(4) Manu Sporny, A proposal for a decentralized, peer-reviewed academic
journal system for the Web, January 14, 2014,
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2013Jan/0011.html

(5) Value Network, Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_network ,

(6) MNDF Project, April 22nd, 2013, http://bshambaugh.org/MNDF_Project.html

(7) Sensorica Value Network, http://valnet.webfactional.com/

(8) Value Network, http://valuenetwork.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

-Brent Shambaugh

Website: adistributedeconomy.blogspot.com/, bshambaugh.org/Master_15.html