[open-science] Evaluation of open data portals in the academic space

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 15 11:32:29 UTC 2014

It depends very much on the field. Some data can be put in CSV files, some
has intricate structure. Some have many entries which are of well-defined
structure.

The most important thing is to have an enthusiastic community of practising
scientists who understand the data, are ready to do the hard irk of
creating ontologies.

The crystallographers and many bioscientists have done very good jobs. In
contrast materials science is a desert.

Why do you want a portal? They often hide what lies behind. I want to be
able to touch all the data.

P.