[open-science] Big and open data – who should bear data transfer costs?

Lukasz Bolikowski l.bolikowski at icm.edu.pl
Sat May 17 18:14:08 UTC 2014

On 05/17/2014 06:26 PM, P Kishor wrote:
 > [...]

Thanks for the clear and elaborate answer, all of what you wrote makes
perfect sense.  Let me try to sum up the thread.

The context is: while preparing for a lecture, I listed some interesting
data sets available on AWS.  Since downloads are not free-of-charge, I
hesitated whether to use the word "open" on the slides.

Puneet says that in order to determine whether a given data set is open,
one has to examine only the license on which the rights owner originally
published the data set.  What happens with the data set afterwards is
irrelevant.

Peter says that in order to earn the "open" label, a data set should
additionally be made available at a reasonable reproduction cost.
Ideally, it should be possible to access the data set free-of-charge.

Others' opinions were somewhere between the two.

Is that accurate? (Terribly sorry if I misrepresented anyone's position.)

Best regards,
Lukasz

--
Dr. Łukasz Bolikowski, Assistant Professor
Centre for Open Science, ICM, University of Warsaw