[open-science] Big and open data – who should bear data transfer costs?

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat May 17 18:42:05 UTC 2014

Not really accurate because your summary makes it sound that Puneet and
Peter disagree. Actually, Puneet and Peter agree that reasonable cost of
reproduction (call it dissemination) does not take away from the openness
of the dataset. Data are open because their legal status says so (you can
also call it free as in libre sense). Data are free in that the cost of
producing them has been paid elsewhere (perhaps via your tax-supported
grant). If the cost of disseminating them has also been paid elsewhere then
don't charge again (no double-dipping). If the cost of disseminating your
data has not been paid elsewhere, it is ok to recover that cost (no reason
why you should be burdened with that cost).

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Lukasz Bolikowski <l.bolikowski at icm.edu.pl

--
Puneet Kishor
Manager, Science and Data Policy