[open-science] Science at OKFest's preliminary program

Ross Mounce ross.mounce at gmail.com
Fri May 23 10:22:49 UTC 2014

I can appreciate it isn't obvious from the minimal detail about it on site
at the moment, but there's also another open science session that's been
accepted:

   -

   *Introduction to Text and Data Mining (TDM): Technical and Legal
   Considerations* – Puneet Kishor (Creative Commons), Peter Murray-Rust
   (University of Cambridge), Ross Mounce (University of Bath)

   We'll be covering TDM from an open science / academic research
   point-of-view with a hands-on workshop, demonstrating software tools, hence
   we're in the tools stream.

   (But it's worth noting that the same tools / techniques / philosophy are
   very applicable to other fields e.g. data journalism, open government data,
   open humanities, open GLAM etc...)

   All the best,

   Ross :)

On 20 May 2014 17:40, Alexandre Hannud Abdo <abdo at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Ni!
>
> Hey folks, of the 12 proposals originating from this working group to
> OKFest, two got selected!
>
> http://2014.okfestival.org/okfestival-provisional-programme-is-now-live/
>
> I have no idea if this is a good or a bad number, but it's a positive
> integer so I'll stick to the positiveness of this fact. ;)
>
> On the wiki you can see the full text of each proposal.
>
> http://wiki.okfn.org/Open_Science/OKFest2014
>
> Of those approved, one has three people involved in its organization:
> "Testing the efficiency of open versus traditional science – Daniel
> Mietchen, Jenny Molloy, Alexandre Hannud Abdo".
>
> The other, a bit oddly, is one I inserted last-minute after noticing
> there was nothing about open science training: "Exploding Open Science!
> Awareness, training, funding, training – Alexandre Hannud Abdo"
>
> I'm only alone in that because of timing, so if anyone else would like
> to assist I'm more than willing to share the organization and the work!
> If you're interested let me know so I can inform OKFest to include your
> name on the program.
>
> ;)
>
> I'm also open to have somebody else take my place in assisting Daniel's
> proposal, since only these two got through and more people might be
> holding their breath to contribute. Let me and Daniel know about that.
>
> There'll also be a third science related session which was not on the
> wiki: "Skills and tools for web native open science – Kaitlin Thaney
> (Mozilla Science Lab), Karthik Ram (rOpenSci)".
>
> Finally, if enough Open Science people are attending anyway, we could
> also host our other proposals in a different format as a side-event,
> night-event, lunch-talks or something like that... are you attending?
> What do you think?
>
> Popcorn and mushrooms,
>
> ale
> .~´

Ross Mounce
Fossils, Phylogeny and Macroevolution Research Group
University of Bath, 4 South Building, Lab 1.07
http://about.me/rossmounce