[open-science] Seeking Opportunities Within Open Science

Brent Shambaugh brent.shambaugh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 20:31:36 UTC 2014

Short version:

I'm working on something too. Completion will depend on more than just
programming. Something is going on over at Sensorica.co and I'm trying to
get involved.

Long version:

I hate to be a solutions person, meaning, I do not want to say I have the
answer. I have however been looking at semantic web technologies and a
project called Sensorica which uses open value accounting for contributions
to particular projects (e.g.
http://valuenetwork.referata.com/wiki/SENSORICA_VAS_tutorials).

I talked to Tiberius Brastaviceanu
<https://plus.google.com/117593809719446924575>  today about enhancing his
value networks for sensors for biomedical applications by basing them on
ontologies (used for the semantic web) to promote universal use without
assistance (not just with help with the database designers). Secondly, I
talked to him about describing project components in such a way that they
can easily be integrated with components from other projects and so they do
not have to reinterpreted from locations external to Sensorica.

I have been publishing my work on blogs (http://raptorlicious.blogspot.com/,
http://adistributedeconomy.blogspot.com/) and on my website (
http://bshambaugh.org/Master_17.html [research],
http://bshambaugh.org/eispp3.pdf [main wireframe])

I believe this is valuable because at the University of Oklahoma
Supercomputing Symposium yesterday it was emphasized by (I believe) Irene
Qualters, Division Director at the National Science Foundation, that new
economic models (e.g. quarterly review is not enough?) and new software for
researchers needs to be investigated (
http://wssspe.researchcomputing.org.uk/)

In addition, I hope that it offers some solutions to what Peter Murray-Rust
was saying and perhaps provide something for people to work towards.

-Brent Shambaugh

Website: bshambaugh.org