[open-science] [okfn-discuss] Community Integration?: Afterthoughts

Jack Park jackpark at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 00:20:09 UTC 2014

Hi Brent,

Many thanks for the links!
Indeed, that thesis is right in line with the kinds of things that many
people are thinking and doing.

Many of us followed Douglas Engelbart, who, while best known for the mouse,
windows, and other UX ideas coming out of his lab, is well known for
arguing in favor of what he calls a "Dynamic Knowledge Repository" (DKR),
which is defined as the combination of people, their knowledge (to share)
and tools with which they share and organize their knowledge. So, this
work, and knowledge graphs organized by ontologies, is right in line with
Open Science.

Side note: in a lecture in Seoul in 2007, at the suggestion of Ted Kahn, I
switched the name "dynamic knowledge repository" to, instead, "dynamic
knowledge garden".  I was then asked to drop "dynamic", so most of my
slides at slideshare talk about knowledge gardening.

Svetlana started a "knowledge graph" at debategraph.org (link in the pad)
and invited me in (it's public and others should feel invited to
contribute) to help her get started.  In that graph, I suggested setting it
up with a Terminology subgraph, which holds terms (think: poor-person's
ontology) which then "tag" nodes elsewhere in the graph to tie things
together and, in a sense, semantically anchor them.

My argument was, and remains this:
There is plenty of evidence to suggest that unless and until you identify
first the purpose of the platform -- in Svetlana's case: PlanetOpenScience
(which I would categorize as a "knowledge federation" [1] --and then follow
that with identifying use cases and scenarios which are entailed in the
purpose statement.  From that, requirements fall out for platform selection
or design.  Sounds a lot like ISO9000, I suppose, but there is merit, if
you plan to hire an ISP and put something up, in thinking a bit about it
first.

Many thanks, Brent.
Cheers,
Jack