[open-science] Crucially overlooked Ebola research article is paywalled at... Elsevier

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 14:57:27 UTC 2015

On 15 April 2015 at 10:11, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> But of course we can't do this experiment because we'll be sued.

If you could escape the layers of lawyers trying to stop you, this sounds
like some form of civil disobedience might be applicable. If a publisher
sued over this, they would have to stand up in court and argue that
protecting their profits justifies restricting access to this information.
Of course, that's not to say that they'd lose, but it would raise the
profile of the issue. I imagine it's a financial risk that no institution
would take on, though.

Thomas