[open-science] Crucially overlooked Ebola research article is paywalled at... Elsevier

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:04:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 10:11 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> But here's a testable, cheap, scientific experiment.
> put all the world's medical facts onto 10000 memory sticks (or mobile
> phones, or Raspberry Pis, or whatever) and send them to an anglophone West
> African country (because the literature is in English). Monitor reported
> health outcomes after 10 years. Compare with a neighbouring country which
> didn't have the memory sticks.

Liberia has 51 doctors <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_in_Liberia> (ie
one for every 76,000 citizens).  What would you do with the other 9,949
sticks?

Do we really think that the lack of knowledge (which is different from "all
the world's medical facts" BTW), was the only, or even primary, factor here?

Tom