[open-science] Mozilla Science Community Call, January 15

Bill Mills bill at mozillafoundation.org
Fri Jan 9 23:07:23 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We're back January 15 with this month's Science Lab community call! The
call kicks off at 11 ET. Dial in information can be found below.

This month, our call’s theme is lessons learned on reproducibility and
citizen science. We’ll be speaking to Chris Lintott
<https://twitter.com/chrislintott>, founder of Zooniverse
<https://www.zooniverse.org/>, on the triumphs and challenges encountered
when citizen science brings the efforts and curiosity of the public to bear
on research questions; Zooniverse has reached over a million volunteers,
giving it and Chris a unique perspective on bringing diverse and massive
participation in the sciences together.

On the topic of reproducibility & transparency, we’ll be hearing from
Garret Christensen of BITSS <http://bitss.org/> on the Best Practices Manual
<https://github.com/garretchristensen/BestPracticesManual> for research
transparency he is working on with contributions from Courtney Soderberg
<https://osf.io/hsey5/> of the Center for Open Science
<http://centerforopenscience.org/>. The Manual is “*a guide or reference
volume of best practices for transparent quantitative social science
research,*” intended to be updated regularly with strategies, tools and
techniques for supporting as much in the social sciences.

Also joining us on the theme of reproducibility will be Tim Errington
<https://osf.io/alh38/>, discussing the Reproducibility Project: Cancer
Biology <https://osf.io/e81xl/>, a collaboration between Science Exchange
<https://www.scienceexchange.com/> and the Center for Open Science to
reproduce the results of 50 major cancer biology studies using their
network of labs and researchers. The collaboration is looking to identify
the techniques that maximize reproducibility in research; Tim will be
joining us to discuss their plans to do so, and progress so far.

Last but not least, the Mozilla Science Lab itself has *a major
announcement landing next week* – stay tuned to the blog and join us on the
call on the 15th to find out more.
Have an update, blog post or event you’d like to share relevant to open
science? Add it to the etherpad :
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/sciencelab-calls-jan15-2015
We hope you'll join us.

========

    Phone Number: +1 800 707 2533, password 369

    Room code (conference number): 7677

    Note:  you can call the 1-800 number free of charge using Skype or
other VoIP clients

    If you are getting a busy signal, you can try these (non-free) phone
numbers (+ the room code 7677):

    CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, extension 92

    UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, extension 92

    FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, extension 92

    CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785-1540, extension 92

    US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, extension 92

    US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, extension 92

    US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, extension 92

--
Best Regards,
Bill Mills