[open-science] Why do you use MediaWiki?

Lukasz Bolikowski l.bolikowski at icm.edu.pl
Tue Jan 20 13:49:54 UTC 2015

Hi Ivan,

Raphael has some good points, let me expand them.  Assuming you want to
use *a wiki* for a collaborative website, there are several reasons why
to choose MediaWiki:

1) Many of your contributing users have probably contributed to
Wikipedia as well, so they know the mark-up, they can re-use some of the
nice coding tricks employed in Wikipedia (e.g. copy-and-paste
infoboxes), they can easily adopt Wikipedia's collaboration principles,
they already know what categories are for, how to use a talk page, etc.

2) Thanks to Wikipedia, MediaWiki is a very stable and actively
developed piece of software.  There's a rich family of extensions.  It
is even possible that one of your power users has written an extension
him/herself.

3) Visiting users (viewers) see a familiar UI.

Best regards,

Lukasz

--
Dr. Łukasz Bolikowski, Assistant Professor
Applied Data Analysis Lab, ICM, University of Warsaw