[open-science] Why do you use MediaWiki?

SVAKSHA svaksha at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 10:22:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Ivan Ferrero
<ivan.ferrero1975 at gmail.com> wrote:
> MediaWiki appears to be the best choice for an instructional wiki, though it
> seems harder to install to a non-tech like me. :-)
> I keep note.
> Maybe I can find someone that takes care of the technical issues.
>
> As for the fork, GitHub would be the best choice, but I want the forks to
> stay under the same domain in order to keep the identity of the project:

I agree with Daniel's observation (locking down a wiki to avoid spam
defeats the collaborative purpose) but github does offer an
alternative for non-git users when it allows all the markdown files to
be treated as a wiki. Also  they allow anyone with a github account
the freedom to edit documents online. I've described it in bullet #4
here: https://github.com/svaksha/Julia.jl#to-submit-a-pr

> 1) it should be able to contain not only the same single project and all its
> variations, but all the project related to the topic

I'm not sure I grok what you mean by this - by nature git is
"distributed", so if you dont want forks of the project then you might
want to consider a CC license that has a "No Derivatives" policy. Is
that what you mean and would that help you? Ofcourse, the "ND" policy
means others cannot contribute to your project. Catch 22.

Hope That Helps, SVAKSHA ॥  http://about.me/svaksha