[open-science] Join us tomorrow for our Badges project call - July 23, 11 ET

Kaitlin Thaney kaitlin at mozillafoundation.org
Wed Jul 22 21:35:44 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Join us tomorrow, July 29 at 11 EDT for our monthly Project Call, dedicated
to our current collaboration with BioMed Central, ORCID and PLOS.
Interested in learning more about open source? Curious about contributing
to open science? Join us!

===

https://www.mozillascience.org/contributorship-badges-building-the-prototype-this-summer

In our Contributorship Badges prototype (Paper Badger
<https://github.com/mozillascience/PaperBadger>), we’re testing ways
to use open
badges <http://openbadges.org/> to assign digital credentials to
contributions on academic papers. As the research environment becomes more
digital, we want to test how we can use this medium to help bring
transparency and credit for individuals in the publication process.

The past few months, our communities have been working together to build a
prototype that uses Mozilla’s Open Badges
<https://github.com/mozilla/badgekit-api> to issue and store badges based
on contributor roles <http://dictionary.casrai.org/Contributor_Roles> on a
scholarly paper. By authenticating against ORCID <http://orcid.org/>, a
user can reliably issue badges to a valid ORCID, the standard unique
researcher identifier. Miss our paper badger call? You can *watch our last
project call here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEPj1w7IlOc>*.

We still have a lot of work before us. Help us get Paper Badger over the
finish line this summer!

Want to jump in?

Join our Project Call tomorrow, July 23rd, at 11EDT to hear more on how you
can help. All are welcome (no PhDs required).

*WHAT*: Call for anyone interested in helping build Contributorship Badges
for Science (PaperBadger)

*WHEN*: July 23, 11am ET

*PAD*: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/sciencelab-project-call-july23
*VIDEO LINK*: https://plus.google.com/events/caag5sqojhv795lfjlj1eajs110