[open-science] Mozilla Science Lab Community Call, May 14: #mozsprint

Bill Mills bill at mozillafoundation.org
Fri May 8 18:45:27 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We're back Thursday, May 14 with this month's Science Lab community call!
The call kicks off at 11 ET. Dial in information can be found below.

This month, we’ll be hearing from some of the project leads for the
upcoming *Mozilla Science Global Sprint, June 4 & 5*
<http://www.mozillascience.org/global-sprint-2015>*, #mozsprint*. This is
our second annual Global Sprint, sister event to our sprint in London at
the Mozilla Festival each fall; at each of these events, we invite projects
from across open research, from scientific applications to publishing to
infrastructure and education, to come sprint on their goals while
highlighting their work to the community and welcoming new collaborators. Check
out the list of projects and sites on the main etherpad
<https://etherpad.mozilla.org/sciencelab-2015globalsprint>, find some more
details for some of the projects on their Collaborate listings
<http://www.mozillascience.org/global-sprint-2015>, and please remember to sign
up <https://etherpad.mozilla.org/sciencelab-2015globalsprint> if you’re
planning on attending any of the 25+ co-working sites around the world!

First on the call, Jai Rideout <https://twitter.com/jairideout> will be
talking about a project with Greg Caporaso
<https://twitter.com/gregcaporaso> to *improve support for authoring books
from an IPython Notebook*, in support of their Sloan-funded *Introduction
to Applied Bioinformatics*
<http://caporasolab.us/An-Introduction-To-Applied-Bioinformatics/>. Check
out the milestone collection of issues they’ll be sprinting on here
<https://github.com/gregcaporaso/An-Introduction-To-Applied-Bioinformatics/milestones/0.1.1%20:%20Mozilla%20Science%20Lab%20Global%20Sprint%202015>
.

Tim Gardner <http://www.riffyn.com/tim-g/> from Riffyn
<http://www.riffyn.com/> will be joining us to discuss his plans to build *a
natural language tool to mine text from PLoS*. The project would like to
extract statistics and context of term usage from the journal, to aid in
constructing and maintaining scientific ontologies.

Achintya Rao <https://twitter.com/RaoOfPhysics> of CERN will be joining us
to describe two projects being brought by the international lab; *Cosmic
Rays For Everyone*, a project to crowdsource the measurement of cosmic rays
using inexpensive hardware, and *GitHub Science Badges*, a project
lead by Laura
Rueda <https://twitter.com/espacial> to create simple visual badges for
GitHub repositories, displaying meaningful information for the scientific
community like licenses, DOIs and more.

Finally, we’ll also be joined by Graham Steel <https://twitter.com/McDawg>
from *Content Mine <http://contentmine.org/>*, telling us about
opportunities to get involved with the data extraction project.
Have an update, blog post or event you’d like to share relevant to open
science? Add it to the etherpad :
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/sciencelab-calls-may14-2015 - we hope you'll
join us.

========

    Phone Number: +1 800 707 2533, password 369

    Room code (conference number): 7677

    Note:  you can call the 1-800 number free of charge using Skype or
other VoIP clients

    If you are getting a busy signal, you can try these (non-free) phone
numbers (+ the room code 7677):

    CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, extension 92

    UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, extension 92

    FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, extension 92

    CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785-1540, extension 92

    US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, extension 92

    US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, extension 92

    US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, extension 92

    DE/Berlin: +49 30 983 333 000, extension 92

    NZ/Auckland: +64 9 555 1100, extenstion 92

--
Best Regards,
Bill Mills