[open-science] Join us in the Open Science track at MozFest this weekend

Margaret Gold margaret at tmc.bz
Tue Nov 3 12:26:53 UTC 2015

Interested in the cross-over between Science, IoT, and hands-on STEM
learning?

Come join us at our MozFest workshop: An Open IoT Stack for Schools:
ScienceMakers + Mozilla Science Lab <http://lanyrd.com/2015/mozfest/sdtzdt/>

Saturday, November 7th at Ravensbourne College, from 12:00 to 13:00 in the Open
Science Track <https://www.mozillascience.org/mozfest-2015> Sprint Room.

The Internet of Things provides a fantastic opportunity for school children
to acquire STEM skills while learning more about their immediate
environment as well.

But there are a lot of IoT tools out there—so many, in fact, that it’s hard
to know where to start.

In this workshop we will look at how to assemble an IoT stack for schools.
This includes everything from hardware, and calibration, to data
aggregation and coding tools.

The idea of this workshop is to share our knowledge with one another about
tools and especially about gaps in the tool chain, from the point of view
of parents, teachers and students. Participants will get hands-on
experience of an IoT stack, with hardware provided by us. The goal will be
to come up with a wish-list and suggestions about how Mozilla Science can
help.

The workshop will be part brainstorming, part hack.

We'll start with a presentation of a simple IoT stack / tool chain that we
have been using for some of our Science Makers projects and Hacks. We’ll be
bringing some Arduino boards and sensors along with us for you to try out
but you’re encouraged to bring your own.

Then we’ll dive into a group brainstorm session where we share experiences
and work on our list of IoT tools and resources. We'll encourage
participants to team up on a hack of their own, or simply help us add to
the wish list of missing tools, resources and platforms

We’ll be fleshing out more details for the workshop in the run up to
MozFest on Etherpad, so check here for updates, or to join the conversation
already:  https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/IOTforSchools_Mozfest_2015
Hope to see you there!!

Margaret & Brian

*The Mobile Collective                              *

Mobile:   0798 563 2237
Email:    margaret at tmc.bz
Skype:   margaretgold
*Twitter:  @mobilecollectiv <http://twitter.com/#!/mobilecollectiv>      *