[open-science] Advice for starting an open community lab/biomakespace?

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Mon Nov 30 07:19:12 UTC 2015

Dear All

I have an exciting opportunity to start a community biology lab here in
Cambridge (UK), which would be fantastic for several local projects we've
got going around open technologies (which I should definitely share in more
detail soon!).

Has anyone set up a biohackspace/makespace/community lab and could you send
me any examples of governance documents, figures for number of members,
information on how you keep such a space sustainable financially and
anything else you have that could feed into our deliberations on how to run
the space?

I've found one site from GenSpace which is really useful
http://openlab-blueprint.org/ but it'd be good to see if their solutions
have worked elsewhere.

Things are moving quite quickly so apologies for the rushed email! I'd be
delighted to talk to anyone who can offer advice so while publicly posted
documents would be best and most helpful for others, if it's more
convenient to chat then just get in touch!

Jenny