[open-science] Advice for starting an open community lab/biomakespace?

Lieke Ploeger lieke.ploeger at okfn.org
Mon Nov 30 10:13:34 UTC 2015

Hi Jenny,

That sounds like a great opportunity, exciting! Last summer I've set up
Spektrum, an art/science/community space in Berlin, see
http://spektrumberlin.de.
What we have decided to do to be able to run the space financially is to
have a bar inside of it, which gives us the financial freedom to run all
kinds of communities, events and exhibitions. We are now in the process of
starting up a small makerspace in one of the back rooms, and are thinking
of running a crowdfunding campaign for it, since we are starting to have
quite a large active community around the space now.
We're probably a bit different than your space, so because of the bar and
the licenses involved it was easiest for us to set up a company, and we
don't have members, but perhaps there are useful things we can help you
with.
Happy to chat further if you want!

Best, Lieke

On 30 November 2015 at 08:19, Jenny Molloy <jenny.molloy at okfn.org> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I have an exciting opportunity to start a community biology lab here in
> Cambridge (UK), which would be fantastic for several local projects we've
> got going around open technologies (which I should definitely share in more
> detail soon!).
>
> Has anyone set up a biohackspace/makespace/community lab and could you
> send me any examples of governance documents, figures for number of
> members, information on how you keep such a space sustainable financially
> and anything else you have that could feed into our deliberations on how to
> run the space?
>
> I've found one site from GenSpace which is really useful
> http://openlab-blueprint.org/ but it'd be good to see if their solutions
> have worked elsewhere.
>
> Things are moving quite quickly so apologies for the rushed email! I'd be
> delighted to talk to anyone who can offer advice so while publicly posted
> documents would be best and most helpful for others, if it's more
> convenient to chat then just get in touch!
>
> Jenny

Lieke Ploeger

Community Manager  | skype: laploeger  |  @liekeploeger
<https://twitter.com/liekeploeger>

Open Knowledge  - See how data can change the world
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>