[open-science] Why Openness is key for True Empowerment and Sustainability? Ideas and inputs welcome

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 05:31:58 UTC 2016

Dear colleague,

One month back, Geo for All and the Research Data Alliance Geospatial IG have invited inputs for the open consultation on the Vision 2030 for Open Geospatial Science. Thank you for those who have already contributed your ideas and inputs. Details on how to contribute your ideas to this at http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/06/open-consultation-on-the-vision-2030-for-open-geospatial-science/

So what is the essence of our Vision 2030 ?

Geospatial Science = Open Geospatial Science

  *   Science should always be fully open and inclusive
  *   Transparency of research is fundamental (no "black boxes" or proprietary barriers).
  *   Geospatial Science should be build fully on Open Principles (Promoting an open research culture)

Fundamentally it links to the importance of Openness for true empowerment and sustainability. Scalability is key for cost/sustainability issues esp. if we are thinking of national and global scale of expansion for providing high quality education opportunities for all . The cost of hardware is getting lower (and will keep decreasing), internet access is increasing (even in developing countries, it will keep increasing) , so if we can also provide free and open technologies , open data, open educational resources etc it will be a big enabler for bridging the digital divide.

I have shared some of the examples of real implementation of this which is benefiting thousands of schools in countries from Uruguay to Spain and how thousands of universities worldwide are now benefiting from Open Principles in Education . Ideas that starts from nothing are very powerful and keeps expanding exponentially . The bigger aim is to also to advance STEM education across the world and bring together schools, teachers and students across the world in joint projects and help building international understanding and global peace. Details at http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/07/sharing-is-caring-why-openness-is-key-for-true-empowerment-and-sustainability/

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr. Suchith Anand
http://www.geoforall.org/

Geo for All - Building and expanding Open Geospatial Science

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.