[open-science] Open tools for creating knowledge: proposal and question

Alexandre Hannud Abdo abdo at member.fsf.org
Tue Jul 5 14:05:50 UTC 2016

Ni! Hello Heather, Kshitiz,

I'm all for trying the idea, but I doubt the effectiveness of talking
companies into switching their business model. The reasons are simple:

* most products don't have universities as their main market
 (SPSS is part of IBM's business intelligence products, chemistry and
health software target the health sector, etc)
* those products that have academia as only target may, within their
company, share code with products not targeted at academia
* proprietary software usually has further proprietary dependencies owned
by third-parties
* proprietary software often uses code they don't have the rights for,
because nobody outside the company ever sees the code

This is not meant to directly discourage, but to inform you of the kind of
issues you'd be dealing with.

On the other hand, compared to academic publishing, alternative
implementations spring faster and would benefit a lot from university
support. That is the case even for research hardware. Moreover researchers
face less negative pressure to adopt new tools than they face, for example,
in changing their choice of joural for publication. The main barriers for
the individual are really know-how and usability (meaning usage habits, not
necessarily ease of use).

PSPP and R are classic examples you already mentioned. And more recenty but
growing in importance is SciPy, Pandas and a host of other Python based
research tools, propelled by the fact that Python has become the preferred
language for teaching programming in many universities.

There are institutions such as Software Carpentry, the Software
Sustainability Institute, and the Free Software Competence Center Network,
that have been promoting the adoption of FLOSS (Free/Libre Open-Source
Software) in academia in general. There are several departments, academic
or mixed societies, and grants supporting software development in specific
fields. A recent message to this list was from OSGeo, where you can find
good examples.

So I would rather focus university level support and inter-institutional
coordination - both of which are rare in this area - towards developping
and adopting these alternatives, rather than trying to negotiate with
current proprietary vendors. At the same time, keeping the door open for
arrangements like the one you proposed, for those vendors that do rely on
universities and can realistically make their product open.

Cheers,

ale
.~´