[open-science] “After SSRN: Hallmarks of trust for subject repositories” - OpenAIRE blog post

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 25 11:48:43 UTC 2016

This is a very important post.
I'm funded by the Shuttleworth Foundation as a Fellow (my project is
contentmine.org) and as a community we frequently discuss how our projects
should be protected to work for public good.

One socio-legal device is to insert legally valid tools into our documents.
We have set up as a UK company limited by Guarantee, and also inserted
specific Open-lock clauses into our articles of association. These locks
can apply to what business we do, how we do it, the labelling.licensing or
outputs, the use of assets and particularly whether we can be sold and if
so what the purchaser would have to commit to legally.

The important aspect is legal. With the best intentions in the world no one
lives for ever. Social-benefit companies often change orientation and
outlook (I think "ten-years " is often a critical period).  With legal
locks in the constitution monopolistic  purchasers will think twice or more
before trying to buy. (Without giving details I have direct evidence of
this in a similar project).

Many (perhaps most) startups in this area see sustainability through the
goal of being bought by a larger company. I have nothing against this in
principle, but clearly SSRN and Mendeley have shown that there are social
problems in many cases. The model of "do something radically new" is great,
but "then sell to Holtzevier" comes close to Microsoft's "embrace, extend,
exterminate". This was bad enough in technology, but where the startup has
a social purpose it becomes unacceptable.

It also raises the question of how a socially-oriented organization can
achieve sustainability without selling to monopolists.